Emerging Playwrights Rules and Conditions
In order to be considered eligible for acceptance into the 2016 Emerging Playwrights Program, each submission must adhere to the following requirements.
- All applications must adhere to the “Submission Guidelines”
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and residents of the United States or the District of Columbia.
- Only one application per playwright/writing team is permitted.
- Participant must accept that the selected playwright must be prepared to work on the development of the script in New York City at their own expense. There is no compensation for travel, housing, or loss of work as a result of participation in the Program.
- Applicants shall only submit a script that is original to the applicant unless expressly indicated to the contrary in a clearly visible and legible copyright notice. It is strictly prohibited to submit to the program any material that violates the copyright, publicity/privacy rights or other intellectual property rights of a third party, or that is in breach of civil or criminal laws.
- Deadline for submissions is MAY 31, 2016 in order for the Script to be eligible for the 2016 Program. Only complete applications will be accepted and reviewed.
- DVRF is not liable in connection with entries that are lost, damaged, or delayed in transit or via Internet or other form of delivery.
- In the event of a dispute, entries submitted via Internet will be deemed to have been made by the authorized account holder of the email address cited on the program application form on the date of submission.
- Participants should complete and include the submission form to be considered a complete application. All submissions must be made electronically via the submission form or, if given prior approval, to the following email address: email@example.com, with the subject heading “2016 Program Application.” Scripts submitted should be in pdf and standard stage play format. All Scripts should include a title page with the following information: Participant’s name (must be same as playwright), address, telephone number and email address. Submissions should also include a “Blind Copy” of the script, with the playwright’s information excluded. This will help ensure a fair and impartial selection process. Submissions should also include a brief synopsis and character descriptions.
Applications will be reviewed as follows:
1. Scripts will be reviewed by at least one reader representing DVRF. Readers will be hired on the basis of their dramatic and/or literary experience, as well as their specific experience reading and evaluating scripts.
2. The Emerging Playwrights Program staff will review Scripts that are highly recommended by readers.
3. DVRF will accept a playwright into the Program based on a subjective assessment of whether they would like to work with the playwright to further develop the script. Factors such as writing quality, plot, characters and dialogue will be taken into account, but final decisions will be made based on Program Organizers’ desire to be involved in moving the project forward.
4. The selected playwright will work with DVRF over the course of several months to create and implement a plan to develop the script. This will include at least one 1-week workshop in New York City, on dates agreed upon by the playwright, Program Organizers, and creative team. The participant must be available to attend this workshop, which will take place in New York City. In addition to the workshop, there will be at least one presentation of the script to industry professionals. These professionals will be selected based on the script.
The Participant understands and agrees that, as a condition of participation in the Program, DVRF shall have the exclusive right to develop the Script from the date submission of the application until the conclusion of the Program. All prospective participants must disclose all development activities conducted to date in connection with the Script. No scripts that have received a full production prior to the commencement of the Program are eligible for submission. DVRF asks that future productions and/or readings of the Script feature acknowledgement of the Program in any promotional materials where possible.