The Playwrights Program
The Playwrights Program is an annual opportunity intended to help new and compelling full-length plays come to the attention of the greater public.
Each year DVRF selects one previously unproduced play to receive an intensive development in New York City. This period is structured in dialogue with the playwright to best accommodate their needs and artistic goals for the piece. The program culminates in presentations to invited audiences featuring producers, directors, and other industry professionals.
Program finalists will be recognized and invited to participate in our Round Table series.
Previous plays selected for the Playwrights Program:
2017 - "The Excavation of Mary Anning" by Ian August | Directed by Sammi Cannold
2016 - "Thirst" by C.A. Johnson | Directed by Danya Taymor
2015 - "The Third Rail" by Jacob Perkins | Directed by Mark Schneider
Rules and Guidelines for Submission
- We are seeking full-length plays only. While there is no strict minimum for length we suggest all submissions be at least 30 pages long.
- Submissions must be in English.
- No play that is currently under option, or has previously had a full, public production is eligible for selection. Submissions that have been developed previously or were under option must be accompanied by a brief summary of their developmental history.
- Please only one submission per playwright/playwriting team.
- The play must be original or based on material which the author previously was afforded the rights to.
- Playwrights must be residents of the United States and at least 18 years of age.
- This program is intended only for playwrights who will be able to attend at least a 1-2 week-long workshop and presentation in New York City in March/April of 2019. DVRF will do its best to schedule according to the selected playwright's availability. The selected playwright must be prepared to bear any lodging and travel expenses incurred while participating in the program. Please note we cannot compensate for time taken off from work.
How to Submit
Submissions for 2018 are now CLOSED. Thank you to everyone who submitted. We will be announcing a winner by this Fall.